Monday, September 30, 2013

Coexistence Series Introduction



Many people will no more than hear the phrase ‘alternate reality’ before they instantly resign themselves from reading this. 

(Oops, I swore I wouldn’t start with that . . . Hello?)

Anyways, I urge the rest of you—those of you with slower browsers, who have not yet been able to back out—please do not resign yourselves today. A central purpose of my writing is to convince readers to explore other genres than they might normally pick. For that reason, I can’t think of a more appropriate series to add first to this new website than Coexistence Parts 1-4, which was inspired by a monthly creative writing prompt at CreatorandtheCatalyst.com

Unlike vampire and werewolf media, which have been done to death, I find that stories with alternate worlds are far less frequently popular. On top of that, very few alternate reality stories are relatable, and many writers misuse or overcomplicate the power of their subject matter. An exception to that is FOX’s Fringe, which I dotingly reference several times in the story.

Considering the relative lack of popular alternate reality media, I set out to make this story as inviting, ironic, and character based as possible. There are not robots, spaceships, or magicians in this story; only a single door to a world similar to our own.

If you love alternate realities, I’ve made sure to place a few lines that should send you scrambling for a pencil (or a mirror) to chart out what I’ve said. If you don’t care and are only looking for an interesting, emotional story, you can easily breeze over these lines. The tricky parts have no real impact on the characters or plot except to express the narrator’s general disorientation.

What I am trying to say, perhaps effectively or not, is that this story is meant to have a little something for everyone. I’m proud of the conclusion, and the characters became more than I ever expected. What I am trying to say is that I hope you’ll enjoy!

Be sure to let me know what you think of Coexistence Parts 1-4 in the comment section below.

Thanks,
Bradley

No comments:

Post a Comment